Creative Critical Reflection


Creative Critical Reflection

1. How does your video use or challenge conventions AND how does it represent social groups or issues?
My music video to the song “Lockdown” by Koffee uses Reggae conventions throughout the whole thing. The reggae genre was made in Jamaica and that was the setting for my video. The location for a reggae video is commonly recorded on the island (Jamaica) or a similar location that gives the same island vibes. Another way it challenges reggae conventions is by being surrounded by nature. After my actor woke up and got ready for the day, they were always outside. it is rare to watch a raggae video and see the main person staying in the house. From running to travleing to a known landmark, my music video made the audience feel as if they are always outside. The next way it challeneges raggae conventions is by giving off a feel good “irie”, calm vibe. The point of the reggae genre is to bring everyone together. The beat is always soft and mellow. Due to this , everyone thinks Jmaaicans live that laid-back lifestyle everyday and expects those vibes when they come to the island to travel.I mimicked that in my music video by showing of smiles from the community. Also, adding the community to it is another way I used conventions but we’ll talk about that further down. To add-in, I showcased the natural fruits of Jamaica and natives prepping them. 


2. How does your video engage with audiences AND how would it be distributed as a real media text?

My video engages with the audience by using an actor to take them on a journey. The journey is about how a regular community member goes about their day with COVID being present. The first scene is the model waking up and I shot that at a birds eye view then did a pan downwards to eye level .This transition makes the audience seem as if they are look right at the person and waking up with them. Also, I make my actor appear to be a regular person. the same daily routine anyone would have they had it too. Nothing was too tidy because I did not want to sell a fantasy. Music videos that have everything perfect often makes people think they’re life is too perfect to have. I wanted the audience to feel like they could have this laid back life too. 

3. How did your production skills develop throughout this project?
My production skills increased from taking this class because before I never paid attention much to angles and camera movements. Now I see why movie directors dressed the character up a certain way to reflect the scene. Also, scenery is a big thing. The tiniest details can leave the biggest effect on your video. For example, if you wanted to show the everyday life of an average person you wouldn’t have the background being a super tidy bathroom. To make it feel authentic you will have some things on the sink and productions everywhere. That’s something I incorporated in my bathroom shot because cleaning it, wouldn’t  give the laid back vibes that reggae music gives. 
4. How did you integrate technologies – software, hardware and online – in this project?
To edit and film this video I used an IPhone 12 and an editing software called Splice. What I realized is recording on your phone without a tripod or stand that moves with you is hard. I never knew how shaky my hands were until I started recording. I sure most of my shots could’ve been better if I had steady hands. Also, when changing angles or doing a pan, I could’ve been much smother. It seems as if my phone jumped sometimes or I was going to fast with my 360 degree angle. The editing software splice was really easy to use. I paid $2.99 for it which I was mislead by because they said it would be a free trial. I also had to pay $1.49 for the song to upload it onto the app. The app allowed you to upload all your footage and cut footage in the middle of it without deleting the rest which was amazing. Instead of uploading the same scene multiple times and cutting where I wanted, I could just splice it. 
Here’s a photo of the app. 


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Video

Filming Blog Music Video,

Planning for my Music Video